Valley Rural Electric Cooperative awards a number of $1,000 scholarships each academic year to eligible students who qualify. The money to fund this scholarship program comes from unclaimed capital credits refunds that previously had to be turned over to the state. Thanks to the efforts of our political advocates, we can now keep those funds in our local communities.
The applicant must be:
- an active Valley REC member or dependent of an active member. (Valley REC directors and employees, and their dependents, are not eligible.)
- attending or planning to attend an accredited post-secondary institution.
- enrolled or planning to enroll full-time for the 2020-2021 academic year.
Previous Brighter Future scholarship recipients are not eligible.
How to Apply
Applications are available here. There are two versions: one for high school students and one for high school graduates.
- Applicant is currently in high school.
High School Student Application
(PDF, 185 KB)
- Applicant has completed high school or GED.
High School Graduate Application
(PDF, 233 KB)
Applications also will be available the end of January 2020 at Valley REC offices and in the guidance offices of the following public high schools:
- Altoona Area High School
- Central High School
- Claysburg-Kimmel High School
- Fannett-Metal High School
- Forbes Road Junior/Senior High School
- Hollidaysburg Area Senior High School
- Huntingdon Area High School
- Juniata High School
- Juniata Valley High School
- McConnellsburg High School
- Mifflin County High School
- Mount Union Area High School
- Northern Bedford County High School
- Southern Fulton Junior/Senior High School
- Southern Huntingdon County High School
- Tussey Mountain High School
- Tyrone Area High School
- Williamsburg High School
New Application Deadline - April 22, 2020
Due to the extension of the statewide closing of schools through at least April 6, the deadline for submission of Brighter Future Scholarship applications has been extended to April 22.
Applications and all required information must be mailed to Valley Rural Electric Cooperative and postmarked by April 22, 2020 or dropped off at one of our offices by the same date.
Scholarship selections will be made by late May. Award recipients will be notified by the end of June.
Please direct questions to Member Services or call 800-432-0680.
Previous scholarship recipients are listed here by the calendar year in which they were awarded the scholarship. Congratulations to all of them.
PREA Scholarship Opportunities
The Pennsylvania Rural Electric Association (PREA) offers two different scholarships. Valley REC does not oversee or award these PREA scholarships. For more information, click on a specific scholarship below.
- PREA Scholarship Trust Fund in Memory of William F. Matson
- Jody Loudenslager Memorial Scholarship (for former Youth Tour students)
Please note that these PREA links will open in a new browser window or tab. Valley Rural Electric Cooperative is not responsible for the content of PREA's pages.